Saturday, February 03, 2007

spiritual discipline part 4 : secrecy and sacrifice

Secrecy and Sacrifice.

These are two more spiritual practices that are not made easy by our culture. However, they are two spiritual practices that will produce incredible freedom from the chains of emotional, spiritual, and material insecurity
"Don't do your good deeds publicly so that you will be admired, because then you will lose the reward from your Father in heaven" (Matthew 6:1).
Do we do the things we do in order that we will be admired, respected, applauded? Are we caught up in the approval game?How do you know if you are caught up in the approval game?
Ask yourself these questions:
Do I ever feel disappointed when nobody notices my efforts?
Do I ever get upset when someone else gets the credit for my idea?
Do I ever find myself doing something so someone will think I am smart
?Do I ever sulk when my past achievements are forgotten or ignored?
Do I ever get upset when no one says, "Thank you?"
Heb 13:15-16
15 Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise-the fruit of lips that confess his name. 16 And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased.
NIV

No comments: